Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Bandera 100k

2014 Adventures   


I started off 2014 with a trip down to Bandera, TX to race the US 100k Trail Championships.  I have raced the "typical" ultra- events including, 50k, 50 mile and 100 mile trail runs but covering the 100k distance would be my first. Part of the reason I run these long distance races is for the physical and mental challenge that they present but right up there is to explore some amazing country powered by my own two feet. 

Start of the first hill with many more to come. 


I left my new home in Lakewood, CO on Thursday before the race for the 14 hour drive south to Bandera. I have never driven over 10hrs through one state until this trip and I will have to say Northern Texas is BORING. Nothing but tumble weed and oil fields that go on for ever. Every couple hundred miles I would drive through a town and well, nothing was open. I was anxious to get down into the hills but knew it would be dark by the time I arrived. My intentions were to camp out at the start of the race in Texas Hill Country Nature Area but when I arrived at midnight and couldn't find the camp site, I decided to camp in the back of Ollie (my green Subaru) and wait until day light. 

Ollie

When I woke up I was surprised to find that it had rained and could feel the humidity. I must have slept pretty well then? Before driving off to find the "actual" camp-site I walked around quick to check out my surroundings. From reading other bandera 100k race reports I was told that everything in Texas Hill country wants to hurt you and by the looks of it they were correct! I was surrounded by prickly pear cactus, sotol (another type of cactus), agirita ( sharp shrub), and even the limestone rocks dug into your feet. I knew race day was going to be an adventure to say the least. 


Prickly pear cactus. 

On the left is the "Sotol" cactus with the large stock. This would crowd the trail and nick you over and over! 
The rest of the day was spent checking out Bandera (cowboy capital of the world apparently) running the first 2 miles of the course, finding a shower, and drinking plenty of fluids. I knew it was going to be hot and humid so I made sure to drink plenty of liquids throughout the day which consisted of ( HEED, Grape Juice, H2O, Chocolate shake, V8 and a Lone Star Beer). After exchanging race stories with my neighbors at the campsite it was time to hit the hay.


Start of the 100k. I am right behind eventual winner Jorge Marivilla. Photo: Cassie Nicole
The race went out pretty fast like I would have guessed with David Laney (2:18 marathoner,), Chikira Omine ( hot dog eating champion, multiple 50k wins), Paul Terranova ( Grand Slam runner, top 10 WS), Brian Condon (2nd North Face 50- madison) and Joe Uhan ( top 10 WS). I knew there were going to be some guys going out hard so my plan was to race my own race and focus on my effort. The course was a two lap 50k with multiple short steep climbs up loose lime stone rock trails averaging ~5,000ft of climbing per loop. I settled in after the first climb and saw that I was running with Jorge Marivilla with Joe Uhan behind us. It was a lot of fun running with Jorge who is a class act in the sport and always running with a smile :) Jorge and I talked about the lead runners and how fast they took it out. He told me it is all about the 2nd 50k, and then he took off! Geeeshhh!! 

After Jorge left me I ran solo for the next 4-1/2 hrs. I had one bad stretch during the first loop were I fell behind on my electrolytes and fluids. I started carrying only one hand held which for me being a bigger runner, should have been two bottles. My hip flexors were starting to cramp going up the last climb of the first loop so I took the time to focus on my body and take some deep breaths. I started to increase my electrolyte intake using Hammers Endurolyte tabs, but I was running very low on water. I made it through the first 50k in 4:16 and immediately asked for coke and iced water. I had a couple cups of coke, filled up my hand held with ice water, shoved the shorts with gels and headed off for the 2nd 50k loop. 


 Typical trail condition. 


I ran the next two hours solo again until out of no where Fernando De Samaniego Seta caught up to me. We both ran together for the next 3 hours encouraging each other along the way as the temperature reached 80+deg. It was nice to have some company after running in "no mans land" for 6+hrs! I noticed my pace start to slow but I kept focusing on my body and making sure I was taking in enough calories and fluids. I wasn't going to get to my next drop bag until mile 45 so I grabbed a plastic water bottle from the next aid and used that for hydrating and cooling. Having the extra water was a life saver and I starting to increase my pace going into Cross Roads aid station at mile 45. After filling one hand held with ice water again and the other with iced Coke, I re-stocked on gels and endurolytes and left Cross Roads with a 2min lead on Fernando to move into 7th. The last 17 miles were all about survival and digging deep. I focused on my mechanics and tried to be as efficient as possible. I thought about family and the people in my life who have supported me. I got a little emotional. I focused on staying steady on the up-hills and pushing hard on the down-hills. I started to get that second wind and my lead grew from Fernando. 

At this point I didn't know how far ahead the next runner was. I hit the last aid station at mile 57 and they reported I was 5min back from the next runner. I knew this was the home stretch and I started to really focus on trying to catch the next runner. As I came around the corner of the last climb I saw Brian Condon walking up the hill. As I ran up next to him he said he was struggling and was just trying to finish. I started to push the pace to see if he would stay with me over a technical rocky section and I could tell he was giving a strong effort. I pushed the pace even harder and eventually I lost site.  I told myself to run the best I can to the finish. Each step, make it your best. I didn't have a gps watch but the last couple miles felt like I was running 6min pace. I crossed the line in 6th place, and exhausted. 


Some Texas Country jams after the race.
My legs did not appreciate the 14 hour drive back to CO!!!!

This was a very satisfying run for me. I was happy with how I managed my low patches and kept positive throughout the day. For a race this early I didn't know what to expect. I was training pretty decent for this event but nothing too focused. This makes me excited for the upcoming season ahead and the opportunity to see some other cool places. 


Awards 

Should have ate here before the race! 

Sirois? 
Next up is Moab Red Hot 55k Feb. 15th. Check back for more race reports, training and personal coaching. 



Gear I used


1 comment: